Welcoming New Members Meet

12:00:00


September is the time when my comm tends to get new people joining – as people will often move up to Leeds/nearby areas for university, it makes absolute sense. So to welcome any and all newbies, make it less intimidating for them to attend a meet, we’ve had a Getting to Know You meet (captioned: No Stranger Danger).

| Angelic Pretty Diner Doll JSK and OTKs | Angelic Pretty Creamy
Shirring blouse | Bodyline tea parties | offbrand/indie cardigan accessories |


I decided to throw on a relaxed and comfortable coord and finally get to wear Diner Doll, for the first time since I acquired it. Full shirring on the blouse and back shirring on the dress meant lots of comfort, cardigan provided extra warmth as well as comfort and I kept accessories on the simpler side (mainly by not wearing the matching headbow, since that’d eat my head).

The meet took place at Dock 29, a bar and restaurant just behind Leeds’ Royal Armouries. We actually took a boat taxi there (free of charge!) though since only 13 people could fit in there at a time, those of us who didn’t get on could’ve walked since we had to wait about 20-30mins for the next one to arrive. I haven’t tried their food, as I promised my Mum that I wouldn’t stuff my face, but there was a nice selection of drinks which were reasonably priced. At one point we even got a free drink from some random admirer of the fashion (the meet organiser has spoken to him and apparently he was ok, not the dodgy type)!

Even though all we did was talk and get to know each other, time absolutely flew by! To help any shy people, we had two little games prepared: a set of various Lolita-related questions to ask each other and Buy, Borrow, Burn (the Lolita edition of Snog, Marry, Avoid). We had loads of fun going through the photos and trying to decide which dress we’d spend a load of money on and which one we’d rather see go up in flames – which at some point resulted in us planning to dress up a Mr Yan pillow in one of the ugliest Bodyline dresses we could find and burn him instead of Guy Fawkes at Bonfire Night (why isn’t that a thing yet?). I was very happy to catch up with the people I already knew, but I feel that I spent just as much time talking with the people I haven’t met before, all of whom I’m hoping to see again, preferably sooner rather than later.

Buy, Borrow or Burn?


Unfortunately, the time to head back arrived a lot quicker than I had anticipated (honestly, a full circle of speed dating-style getting to know everyone took about 90mins, but felt more like half an hour!) and I joined a few other Lolitas who were heading back to the train station. On the way I thanked my past self as it started raining. I hope that nobody found stains or ruined prints from the rain, but even though I had an umbrella, my back was still very wet – and most importantly, unspoiled, which means that I’ll be able to wash Diner Doll in the washing machine without having to worry too much about it. And that’s a big win in my books.

And then, just before parting ways, as some of us were discussing a meet in Sheffield taking place at the end of October, one of the Lolitas I had just met did the sweetest thing ever. That meet is when the Sheffield comm plans on taking a photo for the Tea Party Club’s calendar/annual thing (theme: films). As I’m doing a Winnie the Pooh inspired coord, a pair of bear ears would really finish off my outfit very well – and then, to my greatest surprise, I was given a pair of bear ear clips. For absolutely nothing, because the Lolita who gave them to me doesn’t wear them. I’m still in shock. Mo, if you happen to read this, thank you very much again, that was an act of generosity I’d never ever expect!

So yeah, I had an absolute blast and I really wish that I didn’t have to go to work the following day, nice things should only be followed with other nice things. Alas, it’s not to be, at least not just yet – but at least I have another meet next weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love your vintage inspired hairstyle with cateyed glasses. The idea of buy, borrow or burn sounds pretty fun. There can I buy mr. Yan pillow? I want to burn him of as witch next 23. June to scare evil spirits away as tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The glasses are actually just my everyday ones, but they tend to look good with most Lolita, which makes things a lot easier. ^^ It was definitely fun to play, though as someone who helped to prepare some of the photos it took away a little bit of the fun. I think I would've liked it even more if I had no clue what dresses I was going to see in there - though it was very interesting getting reactions from other people and getting their choices. Haha, do it! Make a Lolita meet out of it, if you can! :D

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.